LizardSkin coatings must be applied to a clean, dry surface that is free from rust and corrosion. For bare steel surfaces, a primer is required. All other types of substrates do not require a primer. LizardSkin can be applied without scuffing to a newly primed metal surface.
If existing primer or paint has been on the substrate for more than 5-7 days, the surface needs to be cleaned and scuffed to allow for good mechanical adhesion. For aluminum, stainless, fiberglass and wood, the surface needs to be cleaned and scuffed prior to the application of LizardSkin. Mask off any areas that you don’t want coated.
To purchase LizardSkin coatings, visit our shop!
- LizardSkin CI, LizardSkin SC and/or TopCoat (required amount depends on the total square footage for each product).
- LizardSkin SuperPro Application Kit (available wherever LizardSkin coatings).
- Air compressor capable of 70 PSI (pounds per square inch) at 5 CFM (cubic feet per minute) - Air compressor must have a water and oil separator/flush.
- Variable speed 3/8” – 1/2" electric drill to stir product before application (stir paddle included in the SuperPro Application Kit).
- Empty bucket, soap and water for cleanup.
- Dust mask, eye protection, coveralls or an apron and gloves are recommended.